Summer time is vacation time and families look forward to spending time away and relax. Unfortunately empty houses present an opportunity for burglaries.
Here are 5 tips to help prevent break-ins.
- Good locks are essential. About 80 percent of break-ins happen because the burglar knows which locks to pick and which doors to kick in. A deadbolt lock is a good option for most residential dwellings.
- Get a security system. Just having the sign in the yard can be a ‘red flag’ for burglars who are checking the neighborhood for easy targets.
- Timers are a great option if you are going on vacation. With a timer the lights and the television can automatically be turned on so it appears someone is home. A dark house is an easy target for break-ins.
- Hide spare keys well. Don’t put them in obvious places, like under the door mat, close to the door the key belongs to, or in the flower pot.
- Stop mail and newspaper delivery. An overflowing mail box and newspapers piled up high by the front door are an open invitation to a burglar.
Need new locks to protect your family? Contact Jim Arsenault, your CT Professional Locksmith, or call him at 860-678-9797.